Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bullying: No longer just in schoolyards

It seems as though the issue of cyber-bullying is constantly in the media. Along with new technology and the increasing popularity of social media sites cyber-bullying is becoming even more prevalent.  I have to ask though, ‘what is the exact definition of cyber-bullying?’

 “Cyber-bullying is when a child, preteen or teen is tormented, threatened, harassed, humiliated, embarrassed or otherwise targeted by another child, preteen or teen using the Internet, interactive and digital technologies or mobile phones.” –StopCyberBullying.org

stopcyberbullying.org logo
I was confused by this definition at first because cyber-bullying can happen to all ages. However, the site says that the term “cyber-bullying” refers to the situation when there are only minors involved. The term changes to cyber-harassment or cyber-stalking if adults become involved.

Cyber-bullying is usually easy to identify from a text message, Facebook comment, or a tweet. Other forms of cyber-bullying that is more difficult to notice is when someone is impersonating a victim or posting personal photos that are intentionally going to hurt someone. Another form of cyber-bullying that is difficult to detect and sometimes even accidental is impersonal instant messages, texts, or emails. The lack of social cues in text-only communication makes it hard to decipher a joke from a hurtful insult.





This past week Lady Gaga formally unveiled the Born This Way Foundation to combat bullying among teens. “I want to make that clear. This is: I am now a woman, I have a voice in the universe, and I want to do everything I can to become an expert in social justice and hope I can make a difference and mobilize young people to change the world.”- Lady Gaga

The effort to diminish cyber-bullying is being taken to legislatures but also preventable measures are in place in many schools across the country. Cyber-bullying affects almost half of all teens in the United States. The National Crime Prevention Council has an ongoing campaign to educate parents, schools, children and the community about cyber-bullying. California was the first state to pass a law that deals directly with cyber-bullying. The law was effective January 1, 2009 and it gives school administration the ability to suspend students for bullying online.


Killingourkids.com
It is crucial to educate people about the dangers of cyber-bullying, not only legally but also emotionally. Victims of cyber-bullying have lower self-esteem, greater risk for anxiety, depression and in rare but publicized cases higher risk of suicide. As the accessibility of technology increases so will be the access to 24-hour communication, which can lead to cyber-bullying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment