Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Facebook and the Workplace


As I am narrowing down my summer internship opportunities, I stumbled across an article discussing how applicants are being asked to share their Facebook passwords during an interview. Also, many companies are beginning to put a social media policy into place to protect their organization.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1668368/
According to a March 22nd Forbes article, employers are asking potential hires to log onto their Facebook site in order to narrow down applicants. I understand that employers would like to have an understanding of what is happening online with their employees but is it too far to ask a potential employee for their password? Apparently, Maryland believes to think so. As stated in the April 16th Washington Post article, “Employers cannot require workers and job applicants to turn over passwords to private social media accounts as a condition of employment, state legislators decided last week in the passage of a first-of-its-kind bill.” Other states that are trying to pass a similar bill are California, Illinois and Michigan.

Even though the job market is steadily improving some applicants are not able to deny access to their potential employers. There are some social media sites such as LinkedIn where I would have no problem being connected to my future employer. However, Facebook is my personal space where I am allowed to have more interactions with my friends. I am not stating that my site is inappropriate but it is more personal than my other social media profiles. I would feel comfortable friending a boss or co-worker on Facebook but I would not give up my password. I am not alone, according to a March 2012 Fox News article, 26% of younger workers (age 18-34) are more likely to friend their boss on Facebook.

www.agbeat.com
There have been numerous scandals involving politicians, journalists and celebrities regarding their use of social media. Many media outlets and large corporations have a social media policy in place but more average companies are starting to develop them as well. Companies are implementing these policies to protect themselves from potential rumors starting online. It is easier to accept a social media policy once you are employed versus during an interview.

“If you wouldn’t ask your employees for a key to their personal storage unit, their bank account password…you shouldn’t ask for first hand access to their Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or any account. Your having their password is against the policies of these social networks, even if you think it’s ethical (which it is not, even if you’re well meaning).” –AG Beat, March 2012

The issue of social media in the workplace and employers is going to be a continuous battle. As for now, I suggest you un-tag yourself from freshman year pictures and be ready for a future friend request from your boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment